Saturday, August 23, 2014

Review: "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card


375802
~o~Rating~o~
 

Ender’s Game is one of the few books I have read multiple times. It is one of my all time favorite books. Ender Wiggin is a very strong character. At the mere age of six, he had been through so much. Every time I read this book, it makes me cry.

Ender is an outcast from the day he was born because he was a Third. The government only allowed families to have two children, but because his parents had two exceptionally smart children who couldn’t be admitted to Battle School for their personalities, they decided to allow them to have a third child. Ender is sought out by school bullies; he is tortured by his brother, Peter and his parents don’t really understand him. The only person he loves dearly is his sister kind and caring sister Valentine. He is taken away from his family when they decide he is perfect for Battle School.

Ender is isolated in Battle School on purpose by the instructors. Every time he made friends, he was taken away from them. And the one time he decided to give up completely, they used his sister against him.

~o~SPOILER ALERT~o~

The ending was devastating. They told him he was actually doing a stimulation when he was actually controlling a battleship. He had to endure so much and now he had to live with knowing he was responsible for wiping out an entire species. 


At-first I was confused when he finds an alien in his “Game” world. But I liked how it represented hope for him; finding a place for the Buggers to establish another home would give him a chance to redeem himself. 






3 comments:

  1. Ender's Game is also one of my favorite books. I feel the same way about the book. At some parts it was truly devastating and I cried too. I love everything about Ender. He's independent and an awesome leader. He's like a role model to look up to.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of this book and obviously you do too. I love the way everything just comes together. In the end I wasn't expecting the stimulation to be real so it surprised me.
    I love Ender's character and also Valentine's and numerous others. Peter is just straight up cruel and I hated how he treated Ender and Valentine.
    Despite everything that occurred in Ender's life he persevered through it all and defeated the buggers at the end which was to be expected of someone like him.
    I liked your review.

    ReplyDelete