Saturday, September 5, 2015

Review: "These Broken Stars" by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

What's Left of Me~o~Rating~o~
image

These Broken Stars takes place in a future society where inter-dimensional travel is common and humans have "terraformed" quite a few planets already. The beginning of this book has a very Titanic feel to it. Lilac Rose LaRoux is the daughter of the richest man in the galaxy and Tarver Menrendsen is a decorated soldier from a humble background. The story starts with them atop the newly built Icarus, the largest inter-dimensional ship (I think that's what it's called) in the world. The ship is somehow pulled from hyperspace and "sinks". The two main characters escape on one of the escape pods and are stranded on a strange planet that appears to be terraformed but has no signs of life.

One of the main reasons I picked this book up is the writing. I started reading the first chapter in the library because I was bored and I was hooked instantly with the picturesque descriptions and the amount of details the two authors put into this world they created. Unfortunately for me, the descriptions seemed to get less detailed as the book goes on.

The romantic aspect of the book bothered me. I was already expecting it to be more romance than sci-fi but it just seemed very out of place considering their situation.

All in all though, it was a good read.

~o~SPOILER ALERT~o~

I didn't get attached to either of the characters which is strange for me. Maybe subconsciously I expected something to go wrong so I just didn't open up to either of them. Honestly when Lilac "died", I was more happy then sad. And I really don't understand how the "whispers" brought her back to life. Not quite sure on what the "whispers" are either. I guess I'm obligated to read the next book then to get my answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment